Is 'just get started' a psyop?

Lots of advice online about danger of planning too much or thinking too much of training too much

e.g. https://twitter.com/krzhang/status/1326982575512948736

Somehow most companies also fail due to the lack of a 10X engineer (or even an alien founder who appears from nowhere with all the right skills!) who somehow could build the whole company themselves instantly, with maybe a handful of course-corrections after interacting with real world.

How do these things square up? surely you can just study to become an alien founder. I wonder under what circumstances it becomes psyop to advise people to just start.

Also first impressions matter a lot and if VCs think you are a moron they will never change their minds.

– Will Smith

I have known a few outperformers and they never seem to have some quandry about whether they should start or not, they are already doing lots of small things in esoteric corners of the real world, since that happens naturally when you are a world expert at something.

I believe that people do not get started at things because they know they are not capable of being the best! It is a good thing they do not start.

Then, why the advice? And what is its hidden motivation?

– Will Smith

I think the advice is pretty valid actually. Start small, get feedback, adjust.

If you’re actually trying to make money at something you can have pretty quick valuable feedback.

If you start something and it doesn’t work out you try something else. Or change your approach.

A coworker was asking me about side work and he had some ideas but didn’t want to try anything. It was like he didn’t want to bother unless it was going to make him real money, but the thing is you don’t know unless you actually try.

But you and I might be talking on different levels, I’m talking personally and you might be more focused on tech startup.

No – I think this is completely wrong. Your friend would likely suck even if he started.

We never consider the difference between an experienced and an inexperienced person as being 10X. But we regularly consider the difference between bad/good engineers to be 10X (in my experience it’s more like 100X).

We regularly hear the advice ‘just get started’ i.e. get experience.

But, I have literally never heard someone give the advice ‘spend a year and become an expert 100X engineer, here is the deliberate practice you need to do’. Literally never.

My friend would suck in what domain? Isn’t it possible that that there is a domain that he isn’t ignorant in already? That he doesn’t realize he has a knack for? What do you think I am trying to say? When someone is trying out a new venture, it’s going to be built on their previous knowledge/experience, right?

I’m not sure what you mean about peddling society’s memes as far as developing a side means of income. Because that’s the area I hear the advice “just started.” You seem very passionate against whatever you think it is I’m saying (which I don’t know what you think that is).

By the way your questions in your earlier comments seem dishonest because you seem pretty confident in your answers.

your questions in your earlier comments seem dishonest

They aren’t, that’s a bizarre accusation, and completely out of the blue. I don’t really understand what you are saying and it seems like this conversation has gone off the rails.