Internet changing stuff

From another thread:

If (as it is starting to seem) there is far more psyop in the world than we’d like to admit, then what effect is the recent introduction of the internet/social media going to have on this? It seems like it imposes an entirely different equilibrium, so presumably we’d expect the complete destruction of everything that isn’t completely grounded in favor of a new ungrounded system. Are we seeing this? Will it be more grounded, on net? Is this analogous to the chaos surrounding the introduction of the printing press?

• Internet friendship (yes)
  • Internet money (yes)
  • Internet careers (yes)
  • Internet science (not yet)
  • Internet law? (DoNotPay)

We can probably predict the rough shapes of these things and predict them or even create them. What other analogous shifts are there to the internet which impose a new equilibrium on everything,? Crypto…

1 Like

This is actually every interesting problem. If you consider all of the social science as communication science. Then all the social convention may probably can rebuild by the internet. I sometime imagine a new internet language that everyone use.

1 Like

Yep – I think about this a lot too. Scientists/rationalists etc already have a substantially different social contract, a rapidly developing sublanguage, and selectively associate with each other. Language is going to diverge, customs are going to diverge, and maybe even new nations will be formed from specific groups.

Historically cultural evolution was limited by physical proximity (and all the constraints that come downstream from that) but that constraint is completely gone now. I wonder at what approximate year an internet dialect used by 10K+ people would be unintelligable to someone from 2020.